Joshua Socolar, Professor of Physics
Please note: Joshua has left the "CNCS: Center for nonlinear and complex systems" group at Duke University; some info here might not be up to date.
Prof. Socolar is interested in collective behavior in condensed matter and dynamical systems. His current research interests include:
- Limit-periodic structures, quasicrystals, packing problems, and tiling theory;
- Self-assembly and phases of designed colloidal particles;
- Shear jamming and stick-slip behavior in dry granular materials;
- Organization and dynamics of complex networks;
- Topological elasticity of mechanical lattices.
- Contact Info:
Teaching (Spring 2024):
- PHYSICS 136.01, ACOUSTICS AND MUSIC
- Physics 154, MW 10:05 AM-11:20 AM
- (also cross-listed as MUSIC 126.01)
|Ph.D.||University of Pennsylvania||1987|
Nonlinear dynamics and complex systems
Theoretical condensed matter physics
- Research Interests: Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics
Prof. Socolar is interested in the principles that determine
collective behavior in condensed matter and dynamical systems.
His current research interests include:
- Organization and function of complex dynamical networks, especially genetic regulatory networks;.
- The spatial distribution of stresses granular materials (e.g.
bins of sand, coal, pills, or grain) and jamming phenomena;
- Controlling chaos, or understanding feedback mechanisms that can stabilize otherwise unstable ordered behavior in chaotic dynamical systems;
- Quasicrystals, packing problems, and tiling theory.
- Areas of Interest:
- Theoretical condensed matter physics
Nonlinear dynamics and control theory
Statistical mechanics in nonequilibrium systems
Complex Boolean networks
Genetic regulatory networks
- Algorithms • Animals • Arrhythmias, Cardiac • Biological Clocks • Biological Evolution • Biophysics • Bone and Bones • Boolean networks • Cell Cycle • Cell Differentiation • Cell Physiological Phenomena • Cell Proliferation • Computational Biology • Computer Graphics • Computer Simulation • Condensed matter • Control theory • Cyclin-Dependent Kinases • Cyclins • Data Interpretation, Statistical • Diffusion • Disease Outbreaks • Electrophysiology • Embryo, Nonmammalian • Embryonic Development • Feedback • Feedback, Physiological • G1 Phase • Gastrula • Gene Expression • Gene Expression Regulation • Gene Expression Regulation, Developmental • Gene Expression Regulation, Fungal • Gene Regulatory Networks • Genetic regulatory networks • Granular materials • Growth • Heart • Humans • Logistic Models • Mathematical Computing • Mathematical Concepts • Membrane Potentials • Mesoderm • Models, Biological • Models, Cardiovascular • Models, Chemical • Models, Genetic • Models, Statistical • Models, Theoretical • Mutation • Myocardium • Neural Networks (Computer) • Nonlinear dynamics • Nonlinear Dynamics • Nuclear Reprogramming • Periodicity • Physical Phenomena • Physics • Plant Development • Politics • Population Dynamics • Probability • Proteome • Public Opinion • S Phase • Saccharomyces cerevisiae • Sensitivity and Specificity • Signal Processing, Computer-Assisted • Signal Transduction • Social Support • Statistics as Topic • Systems Theory • Tiling theory • Time Factors • Transcription Factors • Transcription, Genetic • Variations • Ventricular Fibrillation • Yeasts
- Current Ph.D. Students
- Postdocs Mentored
- Xianrui Cheng (September 01, 2012 - March 01, 2013)
- Volkan Sevim (March, 2008 - August, 2010)
- Bjorn Samuelsson (November, 2005 - August 31, 2007)
- Recent Publications
- Socolar, JES, Quasicrystalline structure of the Smith monotile tilings
(May, Preprint, 2023)
- Basak, R; Kozlowski, R; Pugnaloni, LA; Kramar, M; Socolar, JES; Carlevaro, CM; Kondic, L, Evolution of force networks during stick-slip motion of an intruder in a granular material: Topological measures extracted from experimental data,
Physical Review. E, vol. 108 no. 5
(January, 2023) [doi] [abs]
- Zhao, Y; Wang, D; Zheng, H; Chakraborty, B; Socolar, JES, Microscopic reversibility and emergent elasticity in ultrastable granular systems,
Frontiers in Physics, vol. 10
(November, 2022) [doi] [abs]
- Kozlowski, R; Zheng, H; Daniels, KE; Socolar, JES, Stick-Slip Dynamics in a Granular Material With Varying Grain Angularity,
Frontiers in Physics, vol. 10
(July, 2022) [doi] [abs]
- Zhao, Y; Wang, D; Zheng, H; Chakraborty, B; Socolar, JES, Ultrastable Shear-Jammed Granular Material,
Physical Review X, vol. 12 no. 3
(July, 2022), American Physical Society (APS) [doi] [abs] [author's comments]
[high impact paper]
- Selected Invited Lectures
- Autonomous Boolean modeling of gene regulatory networks, May 07, 2012, Mathematical Biosciences Institute, Ohio State U.
- Hierarchical freezing in a limit-periodic structure, October 15, 2011, Princeton Center for Theoretical Science
- Periodicity and chaos in delayed Boolean networks, July 19, 2011, ICIAM Conference, Vancouver, Canada
- Relaxation to a limit-periodic ground state, May 23, 2011, Haverford College, Haverford, PA
- Autonomous Boolean Models, June 28, 2009, Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, MA
For more information, see
Prof. Socolar's Home Page.