Guillermo Sapiro, James B. Duke Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Professor of Mathematics and Computer Science and Faculty Network Member of Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
Guillermo Sapiro received his B.Sc. (summa cum laude), M.Sc., and Ph.D. from the Department of Electrical Engineering at the Technion, Israel Institute of Technology, in 1989, 1991, and 1993 respectively. After post-doctoral research at MIT, Dr. Sapiro became Member of Technical Staff at the research facilities of HP Labs in Palo Alto, California. He was with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Minnesota, where he held the position of Distinguished McKnight University Professor and Vincentine Hermes-Luh Chair in Electrical and Computer Engineering. Currently he is the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School Professor with Duke University.
G. Sapiro works on theory and applications in computer vision, computer graphics, medical imaging, image analysis, and machine learning. He has authored and co-authored over 300 papers in these areas and has written a book published by Cambridge University Press, January 2001.
G. Sapiro was awarded the Gutwirth Scholarship for Special Excellence in Graduate Studies in 1991, the Ollendorff Fellowship for Excellence in Vision and Image Understanding Work in 1992, the Rothschild Fellowship for Post-Doctoral Studies in 1993, the Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award in 1998, the Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientist and Engineers (PECASE) in 1998, the National Science Foundation Career Award in 1999, and the National Security Science and Engineering Faculty Fellowship in 2010. He received the test of time award at ICCV 2011. He was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences on 2018.
G. Sapiro is a Fellow of IEEE and SIAM.
G. Sapiro was the founding Editor-in-Chief of the SIAM Journal on Imaging Sciences.
- Contact Info:
- Office Hours:
- By appointment. Contact via e-mail.
|D.Sc.||Israel Institute of Technology||1993|
|MS||Technion, Haifa, Israel||1991|
|BS||Technion, Haifa, Israel||1989|
- Research Interests:
Image and video processing, computer vision, computer graphics,
computational vision, biomedical imaging, brain imaging,
cryo-tomography of viruses, computational tools in cryo-tomography,
computational tools in early diagnosis of psychiatric disorders,
differential geometry and differential equations, scientific
computation, learning and high dimensional data analysis, sparse
modeling and dictionary learning, applied mathematics.
- Recent Publications
- Kim, J; Duchin, Y; Shamir, RR; Patriat, R; Vitek, J; Harel, N; Sapiro, G, Automatic localization of the subthalamic nucleus on patient-specific clinical MRI by incorporating 7 T MRI and machine learning: Application in deep brain stimulation.,
Human Brain Mapping, vol. 40 no. 2
pp. 679-698 [doi] [abs]
- Bovery, MDMJ; Dawson, G; Hashemi, J; Sapiro, G, A Scalable Off-the-Shelf Framework for Measuring Patterns of Attention in Young Children and its Application in Autism Spectrum Disorder,
Ieee Transactions on Affective Computing
pp. 1-1, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) [doi]
- Dawson, G; Campbell, K; Hashemi, J; Lippmann, SJ; Smith, V; Carpenter, K; Egger, H; Espinosa, S; Vermeer, S; Baker, J; Sapiro, G, Atypical postural control can be detected via computer vision analysis in toddlers with autism spectrum disorder.,
Scientific Reports, vol. 8 no. 1
pp. 17008 [doi] [abs]
- Bartesaghi, A; Aguerrebere, C; Falconieri, V; Banerjee, S; Earl, LA; Zhu, X; Grigorieff, N; Milne, JLS; Sapiro, G; Wu, X; Subramaniam, S, Atomic Resolution Cryo-EM Structure of β-Galactosidase.,
Structure (London, England : 1993), vol. 26 no. 6
pp. 848-856.e3 [doi] [abs]
- Aguerrebere, C; Delbracio, M; Bartesaghi, A; Sapiro, G, A Practical Guide to Multi-Image Alignment,
2018 Ieee International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (Icassp), vol. 2018-April
pp. 1927-1931, IEEE [doi] [abs]
- Recent Grant Support
- Learning and Privacy in a Closed Environment, Office of Naval Research, N00014-18-1-2143-01, 2018/02-2021/01.
- CIF: AF: Small: Foundations of Multimodal Information Integration, National Science Foundation, 1712867, 2017/09-2020/08.
- The Foundations of Dynamic Drone-based Threat Detection, National Science Foundation, 1737744, 2017/09-2020/08.
- GitPaper: A Networked Model of Scientific Review and Dissemination, Office of Naval Research, N00014-17-1-2781, 2017/09-2020/08.
- Explainability and Trade Secrecy in AI-Enabled Clinical Decision Support, Diagnostic, and Predictive Software, Greenwall Foundation, 2019/01-2019/12.
- Modeling, Computations, and Applications in Multimodal Information Integration, Office of Naval Research, N00014, 2016/04-2019/10.
- Multimodal Subspace Learning and Modeling of Complex Systems, Army Research Laboratory, W911NF-16-1-0088, 2016/04-2019/09.
- Network motifs in cortical computation, University of California - Los Angeles, 1430 G UA755, 2016/09-2019/06.
- Scalable Quantitative Video Analysis for Online Phenotyping, Early Screening, and Symptom Monitoring for Autism Spectrum Disorders, Simons Foundation Autism Research Initiative, 2017/10-2018/09.
- Path Toward MRI with Direct Sensitivity to Neuro-Electro-Magnetic Oscillations, National Institutes of Health, 2014/09-2018/06.
- Learning to Exploit Big Data, National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, HM01771310007, 2013/02-2017/12.
- AF: Small: Learning to Parsimoniously Model and Compute with Big Data, National Science Foundation, CCF-1318168, 2013/09-2017/08.
- Visitors to the Information Initiative at Duke, Office of Naval Research, N00014-15-1-2334, 2015/05-2016/11.
- Structured and Collaborative Geometric Signal Models for Big Data Analysis: Theory and Applications in Image, Video and, Army Research Office, W911NF-13-1-0011, 2012/11-2016/11.
- Informed Signal Models: Theory and Applications in Image Sciences, Office of Naval Research, N00014-12-1-0839, 2012/07-2016/10.
- MRI: Development of an Instrument that Monitors Behaviors with OCD and Schizophrenia, University of Minnesota, A003891201, 2013/10-2016/07.
- Information Acquisition, Analysis, and Integration, University of Minnesota, A001413001, 2012/07-2016/04.