Wilkins Aquino, Anderson-Rupp Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science and Professor of Mathematics and Civil and Environmental Engineering and Professor in Head & Neck Surgery & Communication Sciences of Head and Neck Surgery & Communication Sciences
Wilkins Aquino obtained a BSCE from Purdue University, and a MS and PhD in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Before joining the Duke Faculty, he was an associate professor in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Cornell University. He was also a member of the fields of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics and Applied Mathematics at Cornell.
Prof. Aquino has broad interests in computational mechanics, including finite element methods, computational inverse problems, uncertainty quantification, coupled chemo-mechanics, and computational acoustics, among others.
- Contact Info:
|Ph.D.||University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign||2002|
|MS||University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign||1999|
- Research Interests:
Computational mechanics, finite element methods, computational inverse problems and their applications in engineering and biomedicine, scientific computing, computational acoustics and acoustics-structure interaction, coupled chemo-mechanics (e.g. electrochemistry-mechanics).
- computational mechanics • computational inverse problems • engineering in biomedicine • chemo-mechanics • machine learning in mechanics • multiscale problems • acoustics-structure interaction • finite element method
- Recent Publications
- Bunting, G; Miller, ST; Walsh, TF; Dohrmann, CR; Aquino, W, Novel strategies for modal-based structural material identification,
Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, vol. 149
(February, 2021) [doi] [abs]
- Sanders, C; Norato, J; Walsh, T; Aquino, W, An error-in-constitutive equations strategy for topology optimization for frequency-domain dynamics,
Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 372
(December, 2020) [doi] [abs]
- Ghavami, S; Babaniyi, O; Adabi, S; Rosen, D; Alizad, A; Aquino, W; Fatemi, M, Ultrasound elastography using a regularized modified error in constitutive equations (MECE) approach: a comprehensive phantom study.,
Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 65 no. 22
pp. 225026 [doi] [abs]
- Chen, MJ; Aquino, W; Walsh, TF; Reu, PL; Johnson, KL; Rouse, JW; Jared, BH; Bishop, JE, A Generalized Stress Inversion Approach with Application to Residual Stress Estimation,
Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 87 no. 11
(November, 2020) [doi] [abs]
- Calkins, L; Khodayi-Mehr, R; Aquino, W; Zavlanos, MM, Sensor Planning for Model-Based Acoustic Source Identification,
Proceedings of the American Control Conference, vol. 2020-July
pp. 2679-2684, ISBN 9781538682661 [doi] [abs]
- Recent Grant Support
- GuArDIAN: General Active Sensing for conDItion AssessmeNt, Department of Energy, 2019/10-2022/09.
- HDR TRIPODS: Innovations in Data Science: Integrating Stochastic Modeling, Data Representation, and Algorithms, National Science Foundation, 2019/10-2022/09.
- REU Site for Meeting the Grand Challenges in Engineering, National Science Foundation, 2017/05-2022/04.
- Measuring arterial material properties using wave-based approaches with ultrasound and computational models, Mayo Clinic, 2019/01-2021/12.
- CPS: Medium: Collaborative Research: Smart Ultrasound Elastography for Improved Medical Imaging, National Science Foundation, 2018/10-2021/09.
- Training in Medical Imaging, National Institutes of Health, 2003/07-2020/06.
- Inverse modeling techniques for determining residual-stress fields in structures, Sandia National Laboratories, 2017/01-2019/09.
- Generalized Waveform Methods for Viscoelasticity Mapping, Mayo Clinic, 2017/02-2019/01.