Rytas J. Vilgalys, Professor
Ph.D., Virginia Polytech Institute and State University, 1985
MS Botany, Virginia Tech, 1982
M.S., Virginia Polytech Institute and State University, 1981
BA Botany, State University of New York College at Geneseo, 1978
B.A., State University of New York at Geneseo, 1978
Office Location: Room 137, Biological Sciences Building, 130 Science Drive, Durham, NC 27708
Office Phone: (919) 660-7361
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Page: http://www.biology.duke.edu/fungi/mycolab/
Additional Web Page: http://www.biology.duke.edu/fungi/mycolab/
Research Categories: Phylogenetic systematics and molecular evolution in fungi
- MS Benítez, MH Hersh, R Vilgalys and JS Clark, Pathogen regulation of plant diversity via effective specialization., Trends Ecol Evol, vol. 28 no. 12 (December, 2013), pp. 705-711 , [doi] [abs].
- AP Gryganskyi, RA Humber, JE Stajich, B Mullens, IM Anishchenko and R Vilgalys, Sequential Utilization of Hosts from Different Fly Families by Genetically Distinct, Sympatric Populations within the Entomophthora muscae Species Complex, PLoS ONE, vol. 8 no. 8 (2013), pp. e71168 [doi] [abs].
- G Bonito, ME Smith, M Nowak, RA Healy, G Guevara, E Cázares, A Kinoshita, ER Nouhra, LS Domínguez, L Tedersoo, C Murat, Y Wang, BA Moreno, DH Pfister, K Nara, A Zambonelli, JM Trappe and R Vilgalys, Historical biogeography and diversification of truffles in the Tuberaceae and their newly identified southern hemisphere sister lineage., PLoS One, vol. 8 no. 1 (2013), pp. e52765 , [doi] [abs].
- Smith, M E and Henkel, T W and Uehling, J K and Fremier, A K and Clarke, H D and Vilgalys, R, The Ectomycorrhizal Fungal Community in a Neotropical Forest Dominated by the Endemic Dipterocarp Pakaraimaea dipterocarpacea, PLoS ONE, vol. 8 no. 1 (January, 2013), pp. e55160 .
- CF Weber, R Vilgalys and CR Kuske, Changes in fungal community composition in response to elevated atmospheric CO2 and nitrogen fertilization varies with soil horizon, Frontiers in Microbiology, vol. 4 no. APR (2013), pp. 1--14 [doi] [abs].
- M Shakya, N Gottel, H Castro, ZK Yang, L Gunter, J Labbé, W Muchero, G Bonito, R Vilgalys, G Tuskan and E al, A Multifactor Analysis of Fungal and Bacterial Community Structure in the Root Microbiome of Mature Populus deltoides Trees, PLoS ONE, vol. 8 no. 10 (2013), pp. e76382 [doi] [abs].
- MH Hersh, R Vilgalys and JS Clark, Evaluating the impacts of multiple generalist fungal pathogens on temperate tree seedling survival., Ecology, vol. 93 no. 3 (March, 2012), pp. 511-520  [abs].
- J Dunbar, SA Eichorst, LV Gallegos-Graves, S Silva, G Xie, NW Hengartner, RD Evans, BA Hungate, RB Jackson, JP Megonigal, CW Schadt, R Vilgalys, DR Zak and CR Kuske, Common bacterial responses in six ecosystems exposed to 10 years of elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide, Environmental Microbiology, vol. 14 no. 5 (2012), pp. 1145-1158 [doi] [abs].
- CF Weber, DR Zak, BA Hungate, RB Jackson, R Vilgalys, RD Evans, CW Schadt, JP Megonigal and CR Kuske, Responses of soil cellulolytic fungal communities to elevated atmospheric CO 2 are complex and variable across five ecosystems, Environmental Microbiology, vol. 13 no. 10 (2011), pp. 2778-2793 [abstract], [doi] [abs].
- NR Gottel, HF Castro, M Kerley, Z Yang, DA Pelletier, M Podar, T Karpinets, E Uberbacher, GA Tuskan, R Vilgalys, MJ Doktycz and CW Schadt, Distinct microbial communities within the endosphere and rhizosphere of Populus deltoides roots across contrasting soil types, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 77 no. 17 (2011), pp. 5934-5944 , [doi] [abs].