Rytas Vilgalys, Professor
PhD, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1985
MS Botany, Virginia Tech, 1982
BA Botany, State University of New York College at Geneseo, 1978
Research Categories: Phylogenetic systematics and molecular evolution in fungi
- Benitez, M, Hersh, M H and Vilgalys, R and Clark, J S, Pathogen regulation of plant diversity via effective specialization, Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 28 (December, 2013), pp. 705-711 .
- Gryganskyi, A P and Humber, R A and Stajich, J E and Mullens, B and Anishchenko, I M and Vilgalys, R, Sequential Utilization of Hosts from Different Fly Families by Genetically Distinct, Sympatric Populations within the Entomophthora muscae Species Complex, PLoS ONE, vol. 8 no. 8 (August, 2013), pp. e71168 .
- Bonito, G and Smith, M E and Nowak, M and Healy, R A and G, Gonzalo and Cazares, E and Kinoshita, A and Nouhra, E R and Dominguez, L S and Tedersoo, L and Murat, C and Wang, Y and Moreno, B A and Pfister, D H and Nara, K and Zambonelli, A and Trappe, J M and Vilgalys, R, Historical biogeography and diversification of truffles in the Tuberaceae and their newly identified southern hemisphere sister lineage., PLoS ONE, vol. 8 no. 1 (January, 2013), pp. e52765 .
- Smith, M E and Henkel, T W and Uehling, J K and Fremier, A K and Clarke, H D and Vilgalys, R, The Ectomycorrhizal Fungal Community in a Neotropical Forest Dominated by the Endemic Dipterocarp Pakaraimaea dipterocarpacea, PLoS ONE, vol. 8 no. 1 (January, 2013), pp. e55160 .
- Weber, C F and Vilgalys, R and Kuske, C R, Changes in Fungal Community Composition in Response to Elevated Atmospheric CO2 and Nitrogen Fertilization Varies with Soil Horizon, Frontiers in Microbiology, vol. 4 (2013), pp. 1--14 .
- Shakya, M and Gottel, N and Castro, H and Yang, Z K and Gunter, L and Labbe, J and Muchero, W and Bonito, G and Vilgalys, R and Tuskan, G and Podar, M and Schadt, C W, A Multifactor Analysis of Fungal and Bacterial Community Structure in the Root Microbiome of Mature Populus deltoides Trees., PLoS ONE, vol. 8 no. 10 (2013), pp. e76382 .
- Hersh, M., James Clark, Rytas Vilgalys, Evaluating the impacts of multiple generalist fungal pathogens on temperate tree seedling survival., Ecology, vol. 93 (2012), pp. 511–520 [abs].
- Dunbar J, Eichorst SA, Gallegos-Graves L, Silva S, Xie G, Hengartner NW, Evans RD, Hungate BA, Jackson RB, Megonigal JP, Schadt CW, Vilgalys R, Zak DR, Kuske CR., Common bacterial responses in six ecosystems exposed to 10 years of elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide., Environmental Microbiology, vol. 14 (2012), pp. 1145-1158 .
- C F Weber and D R Zak and B A Hungate and R B Jackson and R Vilgalys and R D Evans and C W Schadt and J P Megonigal and C R Kuske, Responses of soil cellulolytic fungal communities to elevated atmospheric CO(2) are complex and variable across five ecosystems, Environmental microbiology, vol. 13 no. 10 (October, 2011), pp. 2778--2793 [abstract], [doi] [abs].
- N R Gottel and H F Castro and M Kerley and Z Yang and D A Pelletier and M Podar and T Karpinets and E Uberbacher and G A Tuskan and R Vilgalys and M J Doktycz and C W Schadt, Distinct microbial communities within the endosphere and rhizosphere of Populus deltoides roots across contrasting soil types, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 77 no. 17 (September, 2011), pp. 5934--44 , [doi] [abs].
Duke Biology Box 90338 Durham, NC 27708 Phone: 919-660-7372 Fax: 919-660-7293