Kathleen Donohue, Professor
We investigate the genetic basis of adaptation, including the evolution of phenotypic plasticity and maternal effects, the adaptive value of epigenetic modifications, niche construction, dispersal, and mechanisms of multilevel natural selection.
Ph.D., University of Chicago, 1993
M.S., Stanford University, 1985
B.S., Stanford University, 1985
B.A., Stanford University, 1985
Office Location: 130 Science Drive, Room 137, Duke Box 90338, Durham, NC 27708
Office Phone: (919) 613-7467
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Page: http://biology.duke.edu/donohuelab
Additional Web Page: http://biology.duke.edu/donohuelab
Ecology and Population Biology
Research Categories: Evolutionary ecology and genetics of natural plant populations, genetic basis of adaptation, gene-environment interactions
Research Description: We investigate the genetic basis of adaptation, including the evolution of phenotypic plasticity and maternal effects, niche construction, dispersal, and mechanisms of multilevel natural selection.
- K. Donohue, Darwin’s Finches: Readings in the Evolution of a Scientific Paradigm (2011), University of Chicago Press .
- X Huang, J Schmitt, L Dorn, C Griffith, S Effgen, S Takao, M Koornneef and K Donohue, The earliest stages of adaptation in an experimental plant population: Strong selection on QTLS for seed dormancy, Molecular Ecology, vol. 19 no. 7 (2010), pp. 1335-1351 [doi] [abs].
- K Donohue, RRD Casas, L Burghardt, K Kovach and CG Willis, Germination, postgermination adaptation, and species ecological ranges, Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics, vol. 41 (2010), pp. 293-319 [doi] [abs].
- GCK Chiang, D Barua, EM Kramera, RM Amasino and K Donohue, Major flowering time gene, FLOWERING LOCUS C, regulates seed germination in Arabidopsis thaliana, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106 no. 28 (2009), pp. 11661-11666 [doi] [abs].
- K Donohue, Completing the cycle: maternal effects as the missing link in plant life histories., Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci, vol. 364 no. 1520 (2009), pp. 1059-1074 , [doi] [abs].
- MS Heschel, CM Butler, D Barua, GCK Chiang, A Wheeler, RA Sharrock, GC Whitelam and K Donohue, New roles of phytochromes during seed germination, International Journal of Plant Sciences, vol. 169 no. 4 (2008), pp. 531-540 [doi] [abs].
- JC Hall, TE Tisdale, K Donohue and EM Kramert, Developmental basis of an anatomical novelty: Heteroarthrocarpy in Cakile lanceolata and Erucaria erucarioides (Brassicaceae), International Journal of Plant Sciences, vol. 167 no. 4 (2006), pp. 771-789 [doi] [abs].
- K Donohue, L Dorn, C Griffith, E Kim, A Aguilera, CR Polisetty and J Schmitt, Environmental and genetic influences on the germination of Arabidopsis thaliana in the field, Evolution, vol. 59 no. 4 (2005), pp. 740-757 [abs].
- K Donohue, L Dorn, C Griffith, E Kim, A Aguilera, CR Polisetty and J Schmitt, The evolutionary ecology of seed germination of Arabidopsis thaliana: Variable natural selection on germination timing, Evolution, vol. 59 no. 4 (2005), pp. 758-770 [abs].
- K Donohue, Niche construction through phenological plasticity: Life history dynamics and ecological consequences, New Phytologist, vol. 166 no. 1 (2005), pp. 83-92 [doi] [abs].