Manuel S Leal, Assistant Professor
PhD Biology, Washington University, St. Louis, 2000
MS Biology, University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras, Puerto Rico, 1994
BS Biology, University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras, Puerto Rico, 1990
Organismal Biology and Behavior
Ecology and Population Biology
Research Categories: Behavioral and Evolutionary Ecology of Lizards, Animal Communication
- Leal, M. and A. R. Gunderson, Rapid change in thermal tolerance of a tropical lizard., American Naturalist, vol. 180 (2012), pp. 815-822 .
- Leal M. and B. J. Powell, Behavioural flexibility and problem solving in a tropical lizard, Biology Letters, vol. 8 (2012), pp. 28-30 .
- Kolbe, J. J., M. Leal, T. W. Schoener, D. A. Spiller, and J. B. Losos, Founder Effects Persist Despite Adaptive Differentiation: A Replicated Field Experiment in a Caribbean Lizard, Science, vol. 335 (2012), pp. 1086-1089 [doi] .
- Gunderson, A. R., and M. Leal, Geographic variation in vulnerability to climate warming in a tropical Caribbean lizard, Functional Ecology, vol. 26 (2012), pp. 786-793 .
- Fleishman, L.J., M. Leal, and M.H. Persons, Habitat light and dewlap color diversity in four species of Puerto Rican anoline lizards, Journal of Coparative Physiology A, vol. 195 (2009), pp. 1043-1069 .
- Johnson, M. A., M. Leal, L. Rodríguez-Schettino, A. Chamizo Lara, L. J. Revell, and J. B. Losos, A phylogenetic perspective on foraging mode evolution and habitat use in West Indian Anolis lizards., Animal Behaviour, vol. 75 (2008), pp. 555-563 .
- Fleishman, L. J., M. Leal and J. Sheehan, Illumination geometry, detector position and objective determination of animal signal colours in natural light, Animal Behaviour, vol. 71 (2006), pp. 463-474 .
- Leal, M. and L. J. Fleishman, Differences in visual signal design and detectability between allopatric populations of Anolis lizards, American Naturalist, vol. 163 (2004), pp. 26-39 .
- Leal, M, and L. J. Fleishman, Evidence for habitat partitioning based on adapation to environmental light in a pair of sympatric lizard species, Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, B, vol. 269 (2002), pp. 351-359 .
- M. Leal, Honest signalling during prey-predator interactions in the lizard Anolis cristatellus, Animal Behaviour, vol. 58 (1999), pp. 521-526 .
Duke Biology Box 90338 Durham, NC 27708 Phone: 919-660-7372 Fax: 919-660-7293