Sonke Johnsen, Professor
PhD, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1996
BA with Distinction (highest honor), Swarthmore College, 1988
Organismal Biology and Behavior
Ecology and Population Biology
Research Categories: Comparative physiology; focusing on vision, crypsis, optics, and bioluminescence in the open ocean
- Muchhala, N., Johnsen, S. and S. D. Smith, Competition for hummingbird pollination and the evolution of flower color diversity in Andean Solanaceae, Evolution, vol. 68 (2014), pp. 2275-2286 .
- Dougherty, L. F., Johnsen, S., Caldwell, R. L., and N. J. Marshall, A dynamic broadband reflector built from microscopic silica spheres in the "disco" clam Ctenoides ales, Proceedings of the Royal Society: Interface, vol. 11 (2014), pp. 20140407 .
- Cronin, T. W., Johnsen, S., Marshall, N. J. and E. J. Warrant, Visual Ecology (2014), Princeton Press .
- Johnsen, S., Gassmann, E., Reynolds, R. A., Stramski, D., and C. D. Mobley, The asymmetry of the underwater horizontal light field and its implications for mirror-based camouflage in silvery pelagic fish, Limnology and Oceanography, vol. 59 (2014), pp. 1839–1852 .
- Palmer, G., and S. Johnsen, Downwelling spectral irradiance during evening twilight as a function of the lunar phase, Applied Optics (Accepted, 2014) .